Win Free Aquila Strings in our Competition Below
(Free Strings for the Five Best Comments at the Bottom of this Page)
Over the last few years, Aquila strings have taken the world by storm. Their patented composition of Nylgut has changed the ukulele scene forever and their mission to bring the excellent qualities of Nylgut within the reach of almost every uke player on the planet has been an astounding success.
Almost every ukulele produced in factories and workshops around the world now come pre-equipped with Nylgut strings and any uke that does not have these strings installed as standard, simply does not stand much of a chance of competing in the modern market.
Since the early days of Nylgut, Aquila have been consistently striving to achieve even higher standards for their already superb products. With the creation of Super Nylgut, Bionylon (the world’s first eco-friendly string), the awesome Red Series and the mighty Thundergut Bass range to add to their list of achievements, not forgetting the extensive range of real gut strings re-created for players of historical music from the 18th and 19th centuries, millions of string instrument players from across the globe owe a big thank you to the genius of their creator and founder Mimmo Peruffo, with many like me looking forward to see what wonders Aquila will achieve next.
Aquila’s Extensive String Range
The success of Nylgut has been nothing short of astounding, however as with all great success stories, a darker side has emerged which now threatens to undo all the great work Aquila have been doing over the last few years.
Counterfeit Nylgut Strings
The unscrupulous world of counterfeit goods knows no boundaries, with almost everything and anything available on the common market coming under fire from fakers, cheats and criminals.
Aquila themselves are now under fire from these very same threats.
The problem of counterfeit Nylgut strings has now become so big, Aquila believe that if nothing is done to combat this very soon, it is only a matter of time before the problem reaches epidemic proportions, threatening not only the legacy of Nylgut strings, but the entire ukulele market along with the livelihoods of Aquila’s loyal workers and the future of the company itself.
As good friends and advocates of Aquila Corde Armoniche here at Street Musician, we feel that something needs to be done about this right now, so we are heading a campaign to STAMP OUT FAKE AQUILA STRINGS ONCE AND FOR ALL
Every day we see new online sellers peddling low class, bad quality strings on their eBay listings trying to pass them off as Aquila Nylgut. As sellers of Aquila strings ourselves through our online web store and retail shop, we are constantly having to deal with the fallout from these scam artists, as are many other legitimate Aquila sellers.
Over the past two years we have been inundated with increasing amounts of complaints from consumers about previous purchases they have made from fake sellers posing to be Aquila dealers.
These scam artists are selling what ‘appear’ to be Aquila strings in unmarked bags with yellow cards in such as the pictures you see here.
We understand with the world’s economy in a fragile state, everybody likes a bargain and many people search the net for good deals, especially when it comes to products we buy often such as instrument strings, but as a musician, blogger and an experienced online seller with a retail store, I’m here to pass on a very important piece of advice.
PLEASE DO NOT BUY AQUILA STRINGS FORM ANYONE WHO IS NOT AN AUTHORISED AQUILA DEALER SELLING BRANDED, BAR CODED & WELL PACKAGED, GENUINE AQUILA STRINGS.
..it really is not worth it.
Aside from the damage it does to the company themselves, here are..
15 Good Reasons You Should Steer Well Clear of Fake Nylgut Strings.
1. Aquila strings sold in unbranded packaging are often low grade nylon strings manufactured by Chinese factories trying to cash in on the ignorance of the public. Any cheap white string can be packaged in clear plastic bags and sold as Nylgut when it is little more than low grade fishing line.
No Smiles Here
2. Chinese factories often mix genuine Aquila strings with other white strings to maximise their profits. Unbranded packs often contain one or two genuine Nylgut strings mixed in with other lower grade white strings. This tactic is deliberately designed to create the maximum amount of confusion amongst players.
3. Fake Aquila strings do not sound as good as real Aquila Nylgut strings and have hugely inferior musical properties.
4. Genuine Nylgut strings are known to be stretchy at first, but once they settle down Nylgut will stay in tune and bring out the best in your instrument. Fake strings either snap very easily or stretch too much. The inferior elastic properties of fake strings means they will often continue to stretch and stretch, and stretch even more until the material fails.
5. Fake Aquila strings do not last as long as genuine Aquila strings.
6. Unbranded strings are not colour coded, so unless you are a very experienced player, you probably won’t be able to tell which string goes where on your ukulele.
7. Unbranded strings are inadequately packaged and most likely to have been mis-handled and stored incorrectly, this degrades their musical properties and shortens their life span.
8. Genuine Aquila string packs can always be traced back to their factory. Each pack can be identified from it’s date of manufacture and the operative who packed them. This means if you encounter any problems, Aquila or any of their verified sellers will happily trace it’s origin and resolve your issue for you. Problem solved quickly and easily.
9. Sellers peddling unbranded white strings under the Aquila name are breaching strict copyright laws and are liable to prosecution.
10. Counterfeit goods often fund criminal gangs and other activities, bringing misery and distress to those in other parts of the world.
11. Many fake strings are made in unlicensed factories with substandard working conditions and low pay for those employed by the counterfeit gangs.
12. Fake Aquila strings are a waste of your hard earned cash and do not provide value for money.
13. Fake Aquila strings do not come with guarantees and support provided by Aquila Corde Armoniche and their authorised dealers.
14. Buying Nylgut strings from unauthorised dealers causes untold damage to Aquila Corde Armoniche as a company and jeopardises their ability to continue to research and develop new products to bring to the global market.
15. Aquila stopped producing unpackaged Nylgut ukulele strings for factory ukulele production almost a year ago, and now only distribute genuine branded, barcoded and packaged Nylgut strings to their authorised dealers.
THIS MEANS ALMOST EVERY UNBRANDED PACK IN CLEAR PLASTIC BAGS YOU SEE ON EBAY AND CHINESE WHOLESALE SITES NOWADAYS ARE FAKE.
So for the reasons we’ve mentioned above and many more besides, if you are thinking of buying Aquila strings for your ukulele or any other instrument form their range, please do yourself, Aquila and the entire music industry a favour and do not buy strings from anyone on eBay, Chinese wholesale sites, private web sites, dodgy music shops or anywhere else selling unpackaged Aquila strings in plastic packages.
The best way you can help is to only support genuine music shops and especially your bricks and mortar stores in your high street. Whether online or offline, make sure you only purchase Aquila strings from genuine Aquila dealers offering branded and barcoded packs and help us put a stop to the fakers and cheaters undermining our society.
Now here’s the good bit, if you fancy winning a fantastic prize from Aquila themselves, check out our ‘Street Musician – Shame the Fakes’ competition below and get commenting.
Shame the Fake Strings and Win a Prize.
Have you had a bad experience with FAKE Aquila strings ? We’d love you to tell us all about it here.
Check out the comment form below and tell us about your bad experience and what you think of dodgy Aquila strings. Everyone who comments will be entered in our Christmas prize draw to win a load of strings.
We’re giving away five packs of Genuine Aquila Nylgut Ukulele Strings to each of the top five comments we see here. Yep, that’s 25 packs of free strings on offer.
The best five comments (as judged by me) will each receive 5 free genuine packs of Aquila Nylgut strings for your ukulele. Winners are welcome to pick from 4U Sopranos, 7U Concerts, 10U Tenors, 21U Baritones or you can mix and match.
The good news is we ship worldwide so everyone on the planet can enter.
Our competition is open until the 24th of December when we’ll announce the winners on this page.. This means five of you are going to have a stringing great Christmas.
OK We’re back from our New Year break and by now all our winners should have received their free strings to see them strumming well into 2016. As a New Year bonus and because we had just 6 entries in all for the 5 prizes, we decided to keep with the festive spirit and make everyone winners, so thanks to Mike, Matt, Stephen, Ali, Juno and JC who’ve all had their choice of 5 packs of Aquila ukulele strings sent out over the New Year.
Thanks to all you guys for taking part and keep an eye out for more competitions coming this way soon on Street Musician.
Have a great 2016 and keep strumming those ukes.
p.s We still hate fake Aquila strings so feel free to keep commenting and tell us your thoughts on those nasty fakes.
Simply start your comment with .. ‘I hate fake Nylgut strings because…’
As usual, I’ll kick the competition off..